Check also: Ronaldo Wins Fifa Best Male Player Award
After playing a key role in winning five titles with Real, the Portuguese forward has been chosen in a vote by 26 international news agencies.
The prize has been running since 1958 and is awarded by the Polish PAP agency. On this occasion, Ronaldo received 159 points, beating Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton (143) and tennis players Roger Federer (124) and Rafa Nadal (113).
Cristiano has some way to go before he matches Federer’s run of prize wins. The Swiss won the award four years in a row, albeit one year being named a joint winner with Yelena Isinbayeva in 2005.
In fact Federer took the award five years out of six between 2004 and 2009, with Rafael Nadal the only man to break his rival’s run.
It has been a remarkable year for Ronaldo – and what better way to celebrate than throwing a party in his own honour.
After a 2017 that also saw him win the Champions League, La Liga and Club World Cup with Real Madrid, as well as earn a record-equalling fifth Ballon D’Or and become a father to three more children, Ronaldo threw what was dubbed the ‘CR7 Gala’ on Wednesday night.
Ronaldo organised the evening himself to mark his achievements in the company of his family and friends.
As they year draws to a conclusion the awards continue to stack up for Ronaldo as he is set to receive the Best Player gong at the Globe Soccer Awards in Dubai on Thursday night.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo, football (Portugal) – 159pts
2. Lewis Hamilton, Formula 1 (GB) – 143pts
3. Roger Federer, tennis (Switzerland) – 124pts
4. Rafael Nadal, tennis (Spain) – 113pts
5. Sarah Sjoestroem, swimming (Sweden) – 75pts
6. Marcel Hirscher, alpine skiing (Austria) – 68pts
7. Laura Dahlmeier, biathlon (Germany) – 51pts
Mohamed Farah, athletics (GB) – 51pts
9. Chris Froome, road cycling (GB) – 50pts
10. Ekaterini Stefanidi, athletics (Greece) – 41pts
Source: daily mail