Home » News » world news » Over One Million South Sudanese Refugees Will Flood East Africa, According To U.N
South Sudanese Refugee crisis
South Sudanese Refugee crisis

Over One Million South Sudanese Refugees Will Flood East Africa, According To U.N

JUBA, South Sudan — The number of South Sudanese refugees in East Africa could pass 1 million this year,[9] the United Nations refugee agency said Friday,[3] calling on armed groups to allow safe passage for people fleeing the latest fighting.

facebook

Check also: Amid South Sudan Evacuations, Some Locals Are Turned Back

There is concern about fresh outflows of refugees after military clashes in recent days in the capital,[2] Juba, said Ann Encontre, a UN refugee coordinator in South Sudan. [1]She appealed for $701 million in relief aid.

“They are supposed to be the generation of tomorrow, the generation that will lead and rebuild their country,[8] but right now, they are suffering enormously,” she said.

Even before the violence of the past week, hundreds of thousands of refugees had been sheltering in Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia, and elsewhere since civil war began in late 2013.

But there are new reports that South Sudan authorities are blocking some citizens,[12] including those with US or Canadian dual nationality, from leaving the country.

“We condemn all actions by the government to prevent civilians from boarding flights out of Juba or otherwise departing South Sudan,” State Department spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau told reporters in Washington.[6]

Opposing army factions clashed in Juba in the past week,[2] with forces backing President Salva Kiir bombing the home of former rebel leader Riek Machar, now the country’s first vice president.

Hundreds have been killed.[3] Red Cross workers Friday loaded pallets of bodies onto a truck at Juba Teaching Hospital for burial at a military site.

The fighting has threatened a peace deal reached in August to end the civil war between supporters of Kiir and Machar that left tens of thousands dead.[9]

Both Kiir and Machar on Monday called for a cease-fire, which has appeared to hold.[7]

Source: Boston globe

Check also;

This is not a Paywall, but Newslex Point's journalism consumes a lot of time, hard-work and money. That's why we're kindly requesting our readers to support us in anyway they can, for as little as $1 or more, you can support us .

Please use the button below to contribute to Newslex Point, Inc. using a credit card or via PayPal.

Donate Button with Credit Cards

Comments

comments

Loading...

About lukwago J

Posted by LUKWAGO. J: He's a writer, editor, blogger, affiliate and a web developer, he loves thinking creatively and finding new ways to implement different programming ideas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Loading...
x

Check Also

Halton group

Halton Group Expanding It’s US Factory Operations And Manufacture Of Air Handling Units

Halton group will open a new US production unit of about 40,000 sq ft (3,700 ...