Assistant Secretary-General Bintou Keita’s statement came after DR Congo’s army carried out an attack against the group on Thursday. The statement condemned the attack on both the government forces and the UN’s Monusco peacekeeping force.
“The rebels of the M23 deliberately targeted the peacekeepers of Monusco… who fired back, in line with their mandate,” she said.
In a joint operation, the army and the Monusco soldiers launched an attack against the rebels as retaliation. Residents of Goma, the main city in North Kivu province, said Monusco had used helicopters in their operation against the rebels.
The M23 militia released a statement saying their fighters had forced the government to retreat and they had taken refuge at the Monusco base. This forced the peacekeepers to intervene.
The M23 group erupted from a 2013 ethnic Tutsi Congolese rebellion that neighboring Uganda and Rwanda supported at the time.
They resumed fighting earlier this year, accusing the government of having failed to respect a 2009 agreement.
Apparently, the government didn’t keep the agreement of incorporating their fighters into the army.
- Another Influx Of Congolese Refugees Arrives In Uganda
- 15 Civilians Shot By ‘Drunk’ Soldiers in Eastern DR Congo
- MPs Irked By Govt’s Failure To Show Report On UPDF Deployment In DRC
Please use the button below to contribute to Newslex Point, Inc. using a credit card or via PayPal.