CEC Liquid Telecommunications, part of the leading pan-African telecoms group Liquid Telecom, is helping to accelerate Zambia’s emerging gaming and Internet of Things (IoT) ecosystem through a new partnership with BongoHive; Zambia’s first innovation and technology hub.
Zambia is home to a thriving start-up scene, which is developing solutions for industries as diverse as media and entertainment, gaming, transport, eHealth and logistics. As part of its ongoing African Innovation initiative, CEC Liquid will support start-ups at BongoHive through the provision of high-speed internet access and cloud-based services, leveraging Liquid Telecom’s pan-African fibre footprint.
In collaboration with Kwese TV, Liquid Telecom will also explore ways to accelerate Zambia’s gaming ecosystem, helping to support game developers as they aim to promote their content on Africa’s largest gaming platform, Kwese Gamer.
In addition, Liquid Telecom will look at how the Internet of Things (IoT) can play a more prominent role in new solutions being developed by start-ups, which can utilise tools from the Microsoft Azure IoT suite.
CEC Liquid recently hosted the CONNECT Expo in September 2017, which focused onIoT and its application in domestic, SME and enterprise environments.
“It is an exciting time to be a part of Zambia’s start-up scene, which is growing a big reputation for itself in the region as an innovation hot-spot. Through this new partnership with BongoHive, we believe we can make a real difference to young entrepreneurs, who can benefit from both our experience and technology,” said, Andrew Kapula, Managing Director at CEC Liquid.
BongoHive provides local start-ups with a range of entrepreneurship programmes, skill building masterclasses, workshops and events all focused on making Zambia Africa’s next hotbed of innovation. The hub has supported over 400 start-ups since its inception in 2011, raising significant start-up capital and funding for entrepreneurs.
“We are pleased to partner with such an ambitious organisation, CEC Liquid, and we believe our common effort to support the Zambian innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem will yield greater results and ensure that Zambian entrepreneurs excel locally and globally,” said, Lukonga Lindunda, Co-founder and Executive Director at BongoHive.
- Liquid Telecom has been finding ways to support the new generation of gamers who are rapidly emerging across Africa. In July, Liquid Telecom Kenya partnered with the Nairobi Comic Convention (Naiccon) to host Africa’s first international multi player video game tournament at the Sarit Centre in Nairobi. The tournament was an enormous success, with a total of 16 PC and console gaming teams from Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda battling it out for cash prizes in front of enthusiastic audiences.
- In Uganda, Liquid Telecom recently teamed up with The Innovation Village, a hub and co-working space in Kampala, to provide new opportunities for local start-ups. During Kampala Innovation Week in November, The Innovation Village hosted the DataHack4FI competition with Liquid Telecom providing entrants with free high-speed connectivity and credits for Microsoft Azure.
- Some of BongoHive’s success stories include iVitals (formerly Teledoctor), which focuses on digital healthcare solutions, and Musanga Logistics; an on-demand delivery app that is transforming the way goods are transported in cities. Both have gone on to win top awards and raise funds.
About Liquid Telecom
Liquid Telecom is a leading communications services and solutions provider across 13 countries in Eastern, central and Southern Africa that serves carrier, enterprise and retail customers with high-speed, reliable connectivity and digital services.
It has built Africa’s largest independent fibre network, spanning over 50,000km, and operates state-of-the-art data centres in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Nairobi, with a combined 6,800 square metres of rack space.
This is in addition to leading cloud-based services, such as Microsoft Office365 and Microsoft Azure, and innovative digital content provision, including Netflix, NBA, TED and Kwese Play.
Through this combined offering, Liquid Telecom is enhancing customers’ experience on their digital journey.
- Uganda Telecom To Pay Shs5B To MTN
- UCC takes on MTN over Internet Bundles
- Find Out If Your Yahoo Account Was Hacked And What You Should Do Next
This is not a Paywall, but Newslex Point's journalism consumes a lot of time, hard-work and money. That's why we're kindly requesting our readers to support us in anyway they can, for as little as $1 or more, you can support us .
Please use the button below to contribute to Newslex Point, Inc. using a credit card or via PayPal.