Luke Owoyesigyire, the Kampala Metropolitan deputy police spokesperson, said it happened in Yoka zone, Bukasa parish in Makindye division.
He said five family members including the head, his wife and three children all died at around 2:00am.
“It is alleged that the fire started from an unattended candle from a makeshift house of Ogola Charles who deals in picking plastics. It later spread to the house of Luyomba Steven 50, killing everyone,” Owoyesigyire said.
The deceased were identified as Steven Luyomba, 50, his wife Nafula Doreen 35. Their children were Lubega Sumei, 16, Naiga Edith 15 and Andrew.
Owoyesigyire said the police fire prevention and rescue services received an alert in time and managed to put the fire out. However, they were unable to save the lives of the family members who had already perished.
“We, however, caution the public against leaving fires unattended as they are dangerous to others in case of an accident,” he said.
The accident highlighted the danger of letting candles burn while unattended especially during the night.
Apparently, the family lived next to a makeshift store dealing in plastics whose owner reportedly left behind a burning candle.
It is possible that the candle burned out and in the process fire caught the plastics and later spread to the nearby house.
- Kalangala: Property Worth Millions Destroyed In Fire That Engulfed Lutoboka Landing Site
- Fire Outbreak Leaves 11 Children Dead At School Of The Blind In Mukono District
- School Fire At Bilal Secondary School Destroys Property Worth Millions
Please use the button below to contribute to Newslex Point, Inc. using a credit card or via PayPal.