President Museveni has condemned the situation in Sudan where fights erupted between the government army and paramilitaries. The president said in a Sunday statement that the fight is a major force misuse.
He said it also undermines the progress they made in the last few months of dialogue.
“We cannot keep papering over mistakes of unprincipled politics year after year. An unconditional and immediate cessation of hostilities to stop the tragedy and mockery of Africa is of utmost importance,” Museveni said.
The fighting between the Sudan army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) started last week.
It came as a climax for the worsening conflict between Abdel Fattah al-Burhan a military leader and his number two Mohamed Hamdan Daglo. The two have a rift between them caused by the planned integration of the paramilitaries into the regular army.
At the moment, at least 56 people are reported to have died in the fighting while many others are injured. In addition to that, several other installations in Khartoum have been destroyed.
President Museveni in his statement described the fighting as one that has no sense in it whatsoever.
“Barring any other illegitimate aim in causing instability, the apparent sticky issue of the time required to implement the merging of warring factions into the national army, is one that can be determined scientifically, considering known and, or, agreed upon parameters such as health, education, training or age of personnel. Using this as an excuse to fight is wrong,” he said.
He further said fighting in a populated Khartoum will only leave many people dead yet it could be avoided.
He also warned the warring factions that the country does not belong to any of them but to the people.
- President Museveni Says Ugandan Troops Are In Congo For Peacekeeping
- Relations Between Uganda And Sudan Strengthen
- Sudan Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok under House Arrest
Please use the button below to contribute to Newslex Point, Inc. using a credit card or via PayPal.