Home » News » World news » African News » Sudan Crisis: Fighting Increases After Army Bombs RSF Out Of Khartoum
Sudan Crisis: Fighting Increases After Army Bombs RSF Out Of Khartoum

Sudan Crisis: Fighting Increases After Army Bombs RSF Out Of Khartoum

Khartoum, the Capital of Sudan, has had air strikes all over despite a truce letting civilians leave the area. The army revealed that it launched the air strikes to flush out its paramilitary rivals, the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

The two sides had previously said they would extend the truce by another three days to allow civilians to leave. But before the three days could end, the fighting had already intensified after the air strikes by the arm.

Over 500 people have been reported dead even though the number of casualties is believed to be much higher than that. And at the moment, millions of people remain trapped in Khartoum.

The fighting broke out between Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and RSF chief Gen Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo. The two are vying for power and disagree over plans to include the RSF in the army.

The truce came about after intensive diplomatic efforts by neighboring countries, the US, UK and UN. Despite extending the truce, it did not hold.

It however remains unclear on what they will do in the next stage of the deal struck with US and Saudi intervention.

On Sunday, the army said it had carried out operations against RSF troops before announcing the extension.

One of the stranded civilians described what it is like being in that area during a bombing. He said they take shelter in a house, far from windows and lay on the floor until it is over.

“When it is a bit further, we try to use the quiet hours that we get to – a couple of hours a day- to just quickly go out and get what we need which is also very risky but we have to do it,” Hamid Khalafallah said.

As a result of the fighting, over 70% of health facilities in Khartoum have been forced to close since April 15th. However though, a Red Cross plane landed at Port Khartoum recently with 8 tones of relief supplies including health kits for hospitals.

In a statement, the International Committee of the Red Cross asked for safe passage from the parties in conflict. They needed a guarantee of safety as they deliver the supplies to hospitals.

Check Also;

This is not a Paywall, but Newslex Point's journalism consumes a lot of time, hard-work and money. That's why we're kindly requesting you to support us in anyway they can, for as little as $1 or more, you can support us .

Please use the button below to contribute to Newslex Point, Inc. using a credit card or via PayPal.

Donate Button with Credit Cards

Comments

comments

Loading...

About Kyeyune Andrew Jonathan

Loading...
x

Check Also

Navigating Challenges Surrounding Ruto's Vision Of Visa-Free Entry

Navigating Challenges Surrounding Ruto’s Vision Of Visa-Free Entry

President Ruto’s proposition of implementing visa-free entry last year sparked both excitement and concern among ...