China in it’s first move after Joe Biden’s swearing in as the 46th President to the US has announced sanctions against 27 outgoing officials of the Trump administration. The Chinese administration says they want to cooperate with Joe Biden’s new US government. They announced sanctions against the “lying and cheating” outgoing secretary of state Mike Pompeo. With him are 27 other top officials under Donald Trump.
What Pompeo had said
The move is apparently a sign of China’s anger, especially at an accusation Pompeo made on his final day in office. Pompeo said China had committed genocide against its Uighur Muslims. This however is an assessment that Biden’s choice to succeed Pompeo, Anthony Blinken, also shares.
The Chinese foreign ministry announced the sanctions in a statement that appeared on its website yesterday. This was at the same time that Biden was taking the presidential oath.
Pompeo and the others had “planned, promoted and executed a series of crazy moves, gravely interfered in China’s internal affairs, undermined China’s interests, offended the Chinese people, and seriously disrupted China-US relations”. The statement reads in part.
The other outgoing and former Trump officials China sanctioned include the trade chief, Peter Navarro; national security advisers Robert O’Brien and John Bolton; the health secretary, Alex Azar; UN ambassador Kelly Craft; and former top Trump aide Steve Bannon.
The 28 ex-officials and immediate family members would be banned from entering mainland China, Hong Kong or Macao. China will also restrict companies and institutions associated with them from doing business with China.
China has imposed sanctions on US lawmakers in the past year, but targeting so many former and outgoing US officials on inauguration day was an unusual expression of disdain.
Pompeo unleashed a barrage of measures against China in his final weeks in office. He announced on Tuesday that the Trump administration had determined that China had committed “genocide and crimes against humanity” against Uighur Muslims. Blinken said on Tuesday he agrees with Pompeo’s genocide assessment.
What Blinken says
“The forcing of men, women and children into concentration camps; trying to, in effect, re-educate them to be adherents to the ideology of the Chinese Communist party, all of that speaks to an effort to commit genocide,” Blinken said.
China has repeatedly rejected accusations of abuse in its western Xinjiang region. Meanwhile, the United Nations panel has said at least 1 million Uighurs and other Muslims had been detained in camps.
Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman, Hua Chunying, told a media briefing on Wednesday: “Pompeo has made so many lies in recent years. This is just another bold-faced lie.
“This US politician is notorious for lying and cheating, is making himself a laughing stock and a clown,” she said.
Hua said China hoped “the new administration will work together with China in the spirit of mutual respect, properly handle differences and conduct more win-win cooperation in more sectors.
“We hope the new US administration can have their own reasonable and cool-minded judgment on Xinjiang issues, among other issues.”
- Trump Bids Farewell To Americans On The Last Day In Office
- Lil Wayne And Kodak Black Pardoned By Trump On His Last Day Of Office
- Immigrant Advocates Urge Biden To Rectify The Trauma Of Family Separation
Please use the button below to contribute to Newslex Point, Inc. using a credit card or via PayPal.